The best case scenario is to move when you want to, on your timetable, not when you have to. One widow while evaluating a retirement community, said that she wanted to move while she was still ”in charge.” That way she would help direct where she would go, as well as what she would take with her and decide best how to dispose of the rest. But we don’t always have the luxury of time; in fact, some people wait too long to make that move and are no longer physically or mentally able. I am seeing this a lot in my work.
If you look at your situation now and decide that in two months, six months, or a certain month next year you want to make a move, write that down as your goal. You can make it happen!. It isn’t easy. But as with most things, once you decide to move, a big part of the pressure is off. It just becomes how to do it. Fill out this questionnaire to get an idea what you are facing.
- If you have a spouse how does she/he feel about downsizing?
- What is your physical condition?
- What is your mental condition?
- Do you have any children living in the area?
- If you have children, how do they feel about your downsizing?
- Is their other family in the area and how do they feel about your downsizing?
- Do you live in a house, condo or an apartment?
- Do you rent or own?
- How long have you lived at this residence?
- Have you recently moved or downsized?
- The idea to move was mine, my spouse’s, my children’s, other family member’s or other?
- Would you like to move into a smaller living space?
- What type of home would you like?
- Can I count on spouse/children/other relatives to help with the move?
- When do I want to move?
- What area do I want to live in?
- Will I need to contact a Senior Move Manager for help to move?
One of my clients, whose health caused her to take these types of questions seriously, commented that her friends kept trying to convince her that she should stay in her home. I encouraged her to listen to her own heart over her friends’ opinions as she knew how she really felt each day.
Take a stand for yourself. Take the initiative – open a new chapter of your life’s journey today!! MOVE if your heart leads you to!