Packing tips to help seniors get ready for move day
- When packing do not overfill or under fill cartons because this increases the possibility of damage. Tops must close flat and be sealed with tape.
- Packing heavier items on the bottom and lighter items on the top. Pack snugly so that things won’t shift.
- Cushion every carton on the bottom, between layers, at the top and in any empty spaces. Use your pillows, towels, and blankets for cushioning. It can be a handy way to pack them! Also have clean newsprint on hand as well.
- When packing small articles, pack them in smaller boxes and nest them in a larger box.
- Number each item and record the numbers and the main contents in a small notebook. Label each numbered carton with the room location where it is to be placed.
- Prepare a Load Last-Unload First carton for things you will need as soon as you arrive in your new space.